It was mailed on 12th May, 1949 and delivered to New Jersey, USA on Jun 27, 1949. It took about 45 days to reach from Tibet to New Jersey.
As per Maulik's research in his exhibit 4 annas will required for Registered mail on top of regular charges, 12 annas (12 + 4) for airmail registration, 3.5 Annas (3.5 +4) for surface mail registration to USA.
I have following concerns about this cover and instead of doing my own research( it takes lot of time) I decide to get help from others philatelist around the world and I hope some one with enough knowledge and experience about Indian Philately or Indo-Tibetian Philately will help us to find correct answer for one of the rare Gandhi used cover.
1) Which category this cover will fit in? Surface Mail(Sea Mail) or Airmail?
By Tibetan YAK(animal) or horse, to Sikkim and then by road to Calcutta and then by sea/air to New York. (Is it a YAK Mail, Offically carried on YAK!! like camel, bullock cart, pony express etc.!!)
(check this photo of Pharijong in 1933 and you decide how tough it was.!!)
Read following link about Tibet mail in 2011 and now think what will be the case in 1949.!!
5) If travel through India then why no CDS from any other cities of India as this is Register cover which needs special care by every post office it travels through about receiving it (same way like New York and New Jersey) !!?
7) If postage is insufficient then it should have postage due marking on the cover from US post office or else it should not have insufficient postage from the start (from Tibet) with as it is register cover, which is processed manually by post office as postal employee (or any official) will make sure before it travels!!!!!!!
8) Not sure whether this is valid postal transaction as India was independent country not ruled by British and Tibet was different country. So how come it has India Gandhi 1948 Stamps.!! Is this a special mail like "PAQUEBOT".!!
9) Where is Tibet Stamps??
Do you think 1948 Gandhi stamps cover is for Investment.?
1) Philatelic FAKE and FORGERIES.
2) FAKE AERO PHILATELY Covers.
3) Stamp collection CHEATING.
4) Stamp Collection Value
5) Stamp Collecting Facts
6) China stamp collection value.
7) First AirMail Post
8) World First Flight Cover
9) Greatest Stamp Collection Scandal
10) Biggest stamp collection SCAM
11) SCANDAL in stamp collection
12) How to increase stamp collection value
Now does it make sense to collect stamps ?
But now you know my 15 steps to make money on internet.!! and following four blog post will make you expert in making money.!!
Straits Settlements stamps B/172 India stamps - Do you really think it's worth $34,500.!!?
So now what do you think CAN YOU MAKE MONEY ?
Gandhi Stamps Club.