Let me make sure this blog post is for future Gandhi collectors so they know what was happening back in 2012 so they are aware of things going around in Gandhi Stamps 1948 used cover and their new hobby.
I was surprised when I saw cover from India with 1948 Gandhi stamp valued 12 Annas and send to France was sold for $6100 !! Following is description of the that cover.
"INDIA GANDHI,12 ANNA ERROR OF ISSUE,02 AUGUST 1948,THE FIRST ISSUE ERROR OF INDIA,IT IS RECORDED THAT,SOME POST OFFICES GOT THE DATE WRONG,THINKING THAT IT WAS TO BE ISSUED ON HIS BIRTHDAY "2ND"VERY FEW STAMPS WERE SOLD,BEFORE THEY REALISED THIS MISTAKE,VERY FEW COVERS SURVIVED,AS MOST STAMPS WERE WASHED OF THE COVER,IRREPLACEABLE."
Do you think postal employee (From : Bombay now Mumbai) was not aware of this famous stamp issued for Mahatma Gandhi and also don't know his birthday who was such a famous person at that time and even today.!! His birthday is October 2nd !!
"Are Gandhi Stamps FALSE hope of Riches?"
To understand above quote please read my previous blog post on this series.
1) 1948 Stamps False hope of Riches?
2) 1948 Gandhi Stamps: Are False hope of Riches - Part II ?
3) 1948 Gandhi Mourning Private FDC : Are False hope of Riches - Part III?
4) 1948 Expensive Gandhi FDC : Are False hope of Riches - Part IV?
5) Current one!!
This is second early 1948 Gandhi stamps used on the cover which was sold on ebay. Please read my previous blog post before you read and understand blog post -->. Gandhi 1948 stamps early usage. (make sure to read comment on this blog post!!)
Not sure why that previous cover was sold for only $650.!! even though it was Souvenir FDC cover with 10 Rupees stamp printed on it and 2 low value 1948 stamps .!! and this was sold for such as high price even though it is just plain cover and single stamp.!!
But it's good for everyone including in this economy very government is looking for extra money and public companies like ebay is looking for extra revenue so shareholders get benefit and collectors get a unique used cover which they can exhibit and win medal and they will keep safely in safe deposit from theft, fire, weather etc and pass it to next generation!!
1) Do you think this cover is sold for $6100 and paid all ebay and paypal dues?
2) Do you think buyer and seller are paying appropriate VAT/Sales/Income taxes to Indian government or taxes will be Fedral United States and Sales Tax or any exemption ?
3) Not sure how money was transferred from USA seller to India. ? (I will give this topic for research to Baba Ramadev.!!)
4) Do you really think this was used early on August 2nd instead of August 15th or backdated?
5) Not sure whether it was actual gone through postal stream with receving CDS from Paris?
So not sure whether this is Genuine or FAKE?
Your guess is my guess.
Seller : beattle123 (seller from USA and item location India!!) IS THIS LEGAL?
I hope buyer did good decision like Vijay Mallaya who bought Gandhiji items from auction for 1.8 million. (read my above blog post to understand this)
I have never did any transaction with seller as well as all 3 top bidders. I don't know who they are and their address etc, , but just want to make aware to all Gandhi Collectors who are this collectors/buyers/willing to buy this kind of unique Gandhi philately material.
But it is good for everyone ebay shareholder.!! They will get benefit from this sale because they are getting 400-600$ as commission and ofcourse some country income tax department is getting money as taxes.!!
This kind of things are happening in almost each and every 1948 high value 1948 India Gandhi FDC/Used Covers.!! So take care. You are on your own.!!
Again thanks for reading and please share your thoughts in the comments section