Lot of 40 first day covers from Great Britain from 1980 - 1996 were sold for $1.!!
That means who invested or collected and paid more than $30-$50 has to take a great loss!!
So now think what will happen to your collection if you start now or if you started 5-10 years ago.!!!
Just bringing the TRUTH about stamp collecting hobby so you don't regret in future that you were cheated or you might feel "I was not involved in stamp collection.!!!"
So be careful what are you collecting.!!
Stamp Valuation is in mind of every experienced as well as new collectors.
New collectors will be surprised that their stamps 100+ years old is worth under $1.!! (just couple of cents or no buyer also!!).
Don't think that old stamp means it is valuable.
It all depends on Current Market trends of stamp collection. (Which is DECLINING since last 10 years and it's going down tremendously since last 5 years.!!).
Read my following blog post to understand about stamp collection in DECLINE.!!
1) A Hobby in Decline : 1948 Gandhi USED cover case study.!!
2) A Hobby in Decline.!! - Part-2
3) How to invest when philately price is dropping.
If you see stamps are not even selling or selling like 5-10 times lower their value than mentioned in catalog.!!
1) 1948 Stamps False hope of Riches?
2) 1948 Gandhi Stamps: Are False hope of Riches - Part II ?
3) 1948 Gandhi Mourning Private FDC : Are False hope of Riches - Part III?
4) 1948 Expensive Gandhi FDC : Are False hope of Riches - Part IV?
5) 1948 Gandhi Stamps Early Usage cover : Gandhi Stamps Are False hope of Riches - Part V?
6) Maxi Card sold for $5100 with 1948 Gandhi Stamps - False hope of Riches - Part VI?
7) Indian Philately Exposed
8) Indian Philately Exposed - Part II
9) Gandhi SERVICE overprint stamp price fell from $1009 to $1.!!
10) How can you tell that Gandhi SERVICE stamp is FAKE or Forgery ?
I hope all the above will help while making decision in investing stamps and to avoid getting CHEATED.!!
Now don't you think it does NOT make sense STAMP INVESTING!!
So if invested in stamp you will get only $3 where as invested in some other standard investment such as dollar, pounds, gold or blue chip stock/shares will get you more ROI than investing in stamps as there are very few people who are collecting stamps as hobby so when it comes to stamp investing it's very rare people so it will not appreciate at all.
If you even put 7 Rupees in bank fixed deposit on yearly basic you will get around 375 Rupees at 10% average interest rate.!! which will be still more than twice of current selling price (3$ x 57 = 171 Rupees) of this first day cover.!!
Gold price in 1969 was $40 and today it is $1700+. So think what will be wise investment.!!
Gandhi Stamps Club.