There are two countries named with Congo who honored Mahatma Gandhi by issuing his stamp.
1) Republic of the Congo (Congo-Brazzaville)
2) Democratic Republic of the Congo
The Republic of the Congo, sometimes known locally as Congo-Brazzaville, is a state in Central Africa.
The republic is a former French colony. Upon independence in 1960, the former French region of Middle Congo became the Republic of the Congo. The People's Republic of the Congo was a Marxist-Leninist single-party state from 1970 to 1991. Multiparty elections have been held since 1992, although a democratically elected government was ousted in the 1997 Republic of the Congo Civil War. (Read more about Republic of the Congo at Wikipedia)
The Democratic Republic of the Congo was formerly, in chronological order, the Congo Free State, Belgian Congo, Congo-Léopoldville, Congo-Kinshasa, and Zaire (Read more about Democratic Republic of the Congo : Wikipedia)
Click following link to understand GANDHI stamp SCAM.!!
1) "National Game or Gandhi Philatelic Game"
2) "Gandhi stamp collection SCAM"
To me it looks like maximum # of Gandhi stamps came from Congo in last 10 years.!! This is not honored to Mahatma Gandhi but to honored printers/dealers/reseller.!!!
Starting 2001 dealers are taking benefit of internal war by issuing stamps of GANDHI. I think this is nothing but a SCAM in Gandhi Philately.!! It's very sad where people are dying in Congo and this dealers are taking it's benefit. Following are all bogus stamps from Congo so avoid it and don't support this SCAMMER.
All following stamps were issued after 1997.!!
2) 1948 Gandhi Stamps: Are False hope of Riches - Part II ?
3) 1948 Gandhi Mourning Private FDC : Are False hope of Riches - Part III?
4) 1948 Expensive Gandhi FDC : Are False hope of Riches - Part IV?
5) 1948 Gandhi Stamps Early Usage cover : Gandhi Stamps Are False hope of Riches - Part V?
6) Maxi Card sold for $5100 with 1948 Gandhi Stamps - False hope of Riches - Part VI?
7) Indian Philately Exposed
8) Indian Philately Exposed - Part II
9) First Aerial Post - Indian Philately Exposed - Part III
10) 1911 First Aerial Post - Allahabad - Indian Philately Exposed - Part IV
Now look at what price Congo stamps sold for even 1967 FDC.
Do you think this many Gandhi Stamps from Congo are needed?
Do you think stamps issued after 1998 is/was available in Congo!!? But in future you might see used cover with stamps issued after 1998 from Congo(same way like Cameroun Overprint Used covers).!!
Do you think this is a SCAM in Gandhi Philately.?
Do you think this is all about making money on Gandhi Stamps?
For all above questions I think so.!!!