In 1969 more than 45 countries honored Mahatma Gandhi with stamps or special Cancellation or stationary. Great Britain was one of the country who issued Mahatma Gandhi stamp.
Mahatma Gandhi was first Non-British citizen on Great Britain postage stamp.
Recently a rare Great Britain Mahatma Gandhi Gumside printed was seen on used postcard. It seems there is only one sheet of 50 stamps known to exist with printed on Gumside and this is the only known use on a postcard.
But more surprising thing about previous owner of this postcard.
This was send to "Dr. Douglas Latto" who was higly qualified doctor, a life-long vegetarian and widely acclaimed and highly honored Philatelist. He was very famous collector who used to collected very unique and rare philatelic materials(please check some links at the end of this blog post). After his death his collections was sold by some of the famous auction house like Sotheby's.
Postcard with Used Gandhi 1/6 - Printed on Gummed Side
This postcard carries a Gandhi 1/6 stamp which has been printed on the gummed side. Stanley Gibbons 335a. The SG book does not list - 'used' ones but mint new are £900-1500 each.
The message on the reverse reads: This Gandhi stamp is printed on the gummed side - and is one of the damaged copies of the (blank for number) or so I have just bought! Thought you'd be amused to have it - if it arrives safely .....
The stamp has a bottom margin and appears scuffed - You can still feel the 'tackiness' of the gum.
Cancelled in Wimbledon, 9th March, 1970.
1) 1948 Stamps False hope of Riches?
3) 1948 Gandhi Mourning Private FDC : Are False hope of Riches - Part III?
4) 1948 Expensive Gandhi FDC : Are False hope of Riches - Part IV?
5) 1948 Gandhi Stamps Early Usage cover : Gandhi Stamps Are False hope of Riches - Part V?
6) Maxi Card sold for $5100 with 1948 Gandhi Stamps - False hope of Riches - Part VI?
1) Dr. Latto was previous owner of Penny plate 77 1d reds (SG43)
2) 1856-1862 Great Britain stamps owned by Dr. Latto(search for Latto)
3) One of his lot was sold for 46000 GBP at Sotheby's 1876 WATERMARK LARGE GARTER 8D. ORANGE PLATE 1, S.G.J91A.
4) Lot sold by Sothebys.(click link and then search for "latto")
5) Auction Catalogue - Great Britain - Phillips 22 Oct 1992 - with the Dr Douglas Latto coll of Surface Printed
6)Verified address also. (64 Great Cumberland Place, London was correct address)