Last week one of the most hyped 2011 Gandhi Stamp sheet was sold under $3.!! This price is below face value of 250 Rupees ($5.50). Can't Believe it. 40% price decline in 5 months only.
But according to me this is the REAL price of this stamp sheet as it was auction at starting price for under $1 instead of fixed price which start some were from $7 - 20 or more.
The stamp is unique as it is printed on “Khadi”, the handspun cotton material that Mahatma Gandhi held as the symbol of self determination and self reliance.The Khadi Stamp is sold only in Presentation Pack which is priced Rs. 250 ($5.50).
Now after looking above screen shot you will get surprised by the price of this sheet and folder sold for on $2.96 in auction.!! I think it's will worth to wait and watch before we all buy any Gandhi stamps or FDC as they will be available all the time. It will be not unique as MNH stamps will be available all the time.
And don't except it will go up like 10 Rupees 1948 Gandhi stamps as there were not that many collectors in 1948 and also 10 Rupees was a very very big amount in 1948 for all Indian so only people who has this stamp was foreign collectors who are gaining benefit of this 1948 10 rupees stamp!!. So don't think that this will have similiar effect in future for this Khadi stamp.
Only 4 bids were on this unique stamp sheet even though it is made on Khadi Cloth, it is Odd Shaped(square/diamond), limited quantity(100,000) etc. Also not sure whether Shill Bidding took price to $2.96.!!
Not sure why such a low price of this item & I am confused what is right price of this stamp sheet and also other Gandhi stamps and stamp sheets.
Stamp Valuation is in mind of every experienced as well as new collectors.
New collectors will be surprised that their stamps 100+ years old is worth under $1.!! (just couple of cents or no buyer also!!).
Don't think that old stamp means it is valuable.
It all depends on Current Market trends of stamp collection. (Which is DECLINING since last 10 years and it's going down tremendously since last 5 years.!!).
Read my following blog post to understand about stamp collection in DECLINE.!!
1) A Hobby in Decline : 1948 Gandhi USED cover case study.!!
2) A Hobby in Decline.!! - Part-2
3) How to invest when philately price is dropping.
If you see stamps are not even selling or selling like 5-10 times lower their value than mentioned in catalog.!!
1) 1948 Stamps False hope of Riches?
2) 1948 Gandhi Stamps: Are False hope of Riches - Part II ?
3) 1948 Gandhi Mourning Private FDC : Are False hope of Riches - Part III?
4) 1948 Expensive Gandhi FDC : Are False hope of Riches - Part IV?
5) 1948 Gandhi Stamps Early Usage cover : Gandhi Stamps Are False hope of Riches - Part V?
6) Maxi Card sold for $5100 with 1948 Gandhi Stamps - False hope of Riches - Part VI?
7) Indian Philately Exposed
8) Indian Philately Exposed - Part II
9) Gandhi SERVICE overprint stamp price fell from $1009 to $1.!!
10) How can you tell that Gandhi SERVICE stamp is FAKE or Forgery ?
I hope all the above will help while making decision in investing stamps and to avoid getting CHEATED.!!
Now don't you think it does NOT make sense STAMP INVESTING!!
Gandhi Stamps Club.